From my Tumblr page

Friday, August 24, 2012

Comic quilt - 126 & 127 of 365

It's finally done!!


A few months back, I found this awesome comic book fabric and made an apron from it:

I didn't want the leftover fabric to go to waste to I decided to make a quilt from it. I obviously didn't have enough fabric to make an entire quilt from this on its own, and I didn't want to spend a ton of money. And then it came to me - I'd been saving old pairs of jeans to make some from it, but wasn't sure what. Here was my opportunity!

With varigated thread, I stitched a few designs on to the denim and attached a few squares from the comic fabric and some matching solid colors I had on hand.


But what about the back?

Over Christmas, my mom showed me a quilt project that she was working on, and showed me a new (well, new to me at least) technique for attaching the backing. Rather than sewing the entire front together, and then quilting on the batting and a full backing, this method from HoopSisters.com allows you to attach the backing to each individual square, and then with Bias tape, attach each block and hide the raw edges. You can find the instructions HERE.

So this gave me the freedom to play with the design, so I alternated polka dot colors. And yes, because I had to spend almost as much time on the back as I did the front, I counting the back as a separate project.


The toughest part of this project was adding the sashing. Normally I think this would be fine, but the denim made it thicker and extra heavy. And because I was using a zigzag stitch, the weight of the quilt would drag my stitches. So the stitching isn't perfect. But it's pretty from a distance!


No comments:

Post a Comment